We are seeking an enthusiastic, energetic person with excellent organisation skills to work with Engineers Ireland’s education outreach programme, STEPS. The role is for maternity cover for a period of up to one year.
The Engineers Ireland STEPS Programme is a non-profit outreach programme that promotes interest and awareness in engineering as a future career to school students through a portfolio of projects. Engineers Ireland is the representative voice of the engineering profession in Ireland with over 25,000 individual members. Engineers Ireland’s STEPS programme is supported by the Department of Education & Skills, Science Foundation Ireland and several engineering employers (ARUP, ESB, Intel and TII).
Purpose of Role
Reporting to the STEPS Team Leader, you will be responsible for the planning, administration, promotion and evaluation of the STEPS Young Engineers Award programme. The role will also involve supporting Engineering Girl Guides and Brownies Badges, Engineers Week shows, and various programmes designed to promote engineering to young people and their influencers. STEPS Young Engineers Award is a primary school competition that encourages third- and fourth class students and their teachers to explore the world of engineering by developing an engineering project that would help to improve their local community. The STEPS Volunteer programme runs in tandem with the STEPS Young Engineers Award. STEPS recruits, trains and supports volunteer engineers nationwide to act as role models and inspire primary school students.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promote Young Engineers Award competition to schools in Ireland and inspire teachers to get involved
- Develop marketing materials including print and social media
- Recruit, train, support and motivate volunteer engineers
- Connect volunteers with local teachers who have requested a school visit and provide resources for visits
- Set, communicate and maintain timelines and priorities on every project
- Engage stakeholders and increase brand awareness via email newsletter, other direct email communications and website
- Evaluate all activities throughout the year
- Plan, manage and deliver events on time, within budget
- Support community leaders to communicate diverse opportunities in engineering.
- Develop STEM resources for teachers and volunteers
- Contribute as part of Engineers Ireland’s STEPS team to achieving goals and objectives of the programme.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Project management and/or special events experience would be ideal
- A third level qualification: education /engineering/event management degree preferred
- Experience working in a busy environment utilising digital communications
- Experience of young people’s awareness programmes
- Excellent communication skills
- Positive, enthusiastic and friendly with a proven ability to work as part of a team and build relationships with others
- Strong attention to detail and ability to prioritise to meet deadlines
- Achievement orientated, and results driven
- Excellent organisational, scheduling and planning skills
- Willingness to go the extra mile
Application Details Apply by email only please, including a cover letter (outlining your suitability for this role) and a CV, in the strictest confidence to Roseanne O’Leary, STEPS Team Leader at email@example.com