Ideas for your Engineers Week events
Not sure what to do? There are a number of ways your school, club or library and get involved in Engineers Week. Check out our ideas below or our Twitter feed from Engineers Week 2018, to get ideas and inspiration for your events.
Event and activity ideas
Many schools, libraries and clubs organised their own Engineers Week activities, e.g.
- Colaiste Mhuire in Mullingar hosted careers talks for 3rd Years with a number of local engineers.
- Cork Educate Together Secondary School invited engineer parents to visit the school. They also showed students the STEMETTES documentary about girls and IT.
- St Michael’s College in Kerry invited local engineers to talk to students about engineering careers and engineering in the local community.
- Building Services engineer Roisin Crawford returned to St Mary’s in Derry to talk to 200 girls about her work on the design of their school.
- At Ard Scoil na Deise in Waterford, TY students did a ‘Recycled Robots Challenge’.
- Coláiste na Toirbhirte in Cork ran an ‘egg-gineering challenge’ – create a mechanism to drop an egg without breaking it!
- Palmerstown Community School in Carlow focused on the topic of welding, as part of their Engineering class, and challenged students to make posters and do a presentation to their classmates.
- Chanel College in Dublin challenged students to figure out ‘how many helium balloons would it take to lift a person?’
A selection of third party suppliers can organise workshops during Engineer Week if you have a budget but don’t have the time to organise an event yourself.